Published on August 3rd, 2014 | by Shantelle0
DIY: How to Make and Upholster a Storage Ottoman EZ!
How to Make and Upholster a Storage Ottoman EZ!
Materials for DIY Storage Ottoman
Ottoman Fabric Cover for Lid and Base Visit [DIY:How to Make a Storage Ottoman Cover EZ! (Sew)]
2 Yards of Felt Fabric: (2) 34″ x 13.5″, (2) 17″ x 13.5″, and (1) 16″ x 33 1/2″
Print Fabric: 34 1/2″ x 16 1/2″
Adhesive Spray(3M Super 77 and 3M Hi-Strength 90)
Staple Gun and Staples
Dust Cover Fabric for Bottom Closure: 16″ x 34″
Plywood Box 17″(W) x 35″(L) x 14″ (H) Visit [How to Build a Box: DIY Storage Ottoman!]
Plywood Top Piece 35″ x 17″
Screws that are 5/8″ or 1/2″ long (plywood is only 1/4″ thick)
Directions to Make and Upholster a DIY Storage Ottoman
1. Use spray adhesive to cover the plywood box with batting, leaving the bottom bare. Visit [How to Build a Box: DIY Storage Ottoman!]
Tip: Wrap the box with batting like wrapping something in saran wrap.
2. Slide the bottom fabric cover onto the box. Center the fabric cover so there is 1″ of fabric free on the top and bottom. Visit [DIY: How to Make a Storage Ottoman Cover EZ!(Sew)]
Note: Fabric should fit like a glove.
3. Staple the fabric to the inner portion and bottom of the plywood. Cut the excess batting.
4. Lay the 34″ x 13.5″ and 17″ x 13.5″ felt pieces on a flat surface and spray one side with 3M 90 Hi-Strength adhesive spray. Attach the felt pieces to the inside of the plywood box leaving the bottom bare.
5. Cut the excess felt fabric with an X-acto knife.
6. Lay the print fabric on a flat surface and spray with 3M 90 Hi-Strength adhesive spray. Attach it to the inside of the ottoman on the bottom.
7. Turn storage ottoman over and place the dust cover fabric on top and staple along the edges.
8.Using the furniture legs as a guide, drill holes and add 5/8″ or 3/4″ screws to secure.
9. Turn ottoman upright and attach hinges to the ottoman with 5/8″ or 1/2″ screws.
Tip: To avoid the felt from getting caught up in the drill bit, don’t drill a hole. Instead, place the screw in place where it will be attached and use a screwdriver bit to secure the screw while pressing down with alot of pressure on the power drill.
10. Place the plywood top piece on a flat surface.
11. Spray the foam with 3M 77 adhesive spray and attach it to the plywood. Cover with batting.
12. Cover the batting with the top fabric cover and staple along the edges of the fabric. Cut excess batting.
Note: Make sure the corners are flat, if not, staple them flat.
13. Lay 33″ x 16 1/2″ felt on a flat surface and spray with 3M 90 Hi-strength adhesive spray and attach top to cover the plywood.
14. Place the ottoman on it’s side and lay the top down next to it. Attach the three hinges to the top with screws and a screwdriver bit.
Tip: Use pressure on the power drill so that the felt won’t get caught in the way.
15. Stand the storage ottoman upright and enjoy you new storage ottoman made from scratch!!