Published on April 13th, 2013 | by Shantelle0
DIY: How to Stencil on Fabric EZ!
How to Stencil on Fabric EZ
Stenciling on fabric is easy as 1-2-3. So let’s get started….
Materials for Stenciling Fabric:
Stencil(For this project I used the Casablanca Allover Stencil by Cutting Edge Stencil)
Stencil Brushes (I prefer the foam roller when painting a lot of fabric and when there is large spaces in the stencil to paint. It is less time consuming.)
Fabric of your choice
Fabric Paint or Acrylic Paint with a textile medium. (Textile medium is mixed with acrylic paint to make a flexible washable fabric paint.)
Disposable Paper Plates
A piece of cardboard to place underneath the fabric while painting
Directions for Stenciling Fabric:
1. First, tape the fabric starting with the corner to the cardboard to secure it while your are stenciling.
2. Next, spray the stencil with repositioning spray and place it on the fabric starting with the top right corner. Note: This will help the fabric to adhere to the stencil without any movement while stenciling.
3. Pour the paint onto a disposable plate.
4. Roll the foam roller in the paint so that the roller is covered with paint. Tip: For thin fabrics apply very little paint on the brush.
5. Using the foam roller, roll paint onto the fabric.
6. Reposition the stencil by lining up the previously stenciled fabric with the new area to stencil. Repeat steps 4-6.
7. After all the fabric is stenciled, use a iron to heat set the paint into the fabric.
Now your fabric can be washed and used to decorate a room.